A fine summers day graced burnham for their last game of the season, a full squad was at captain Russ pikes disposal with a league debut for young ed lewis who proved in his brief cameo that he will give some tough competition to an already strong front row.

Burnham went at the glouscester side (who beat burnham by a point in the first game of the season) right from the first whistle and worked themselves down into matsons 22 and got themselves a scrum which ended in the opposition running backwards for the ball to slip out to elisi who used his weight to bulldoze over. 5-0
From the restart though burnham went back into their shell and allowed matson back into the game with a fortunate interception from a scrum and then followed that up with another try through some loose tackling and poor decision making. With those 2 scores fresh in burnhams head it was a case of sit back and let them run away with it or tighten up and get back into the game, they decided to choose the latter and got straight into matsons 5 metre line where the inevitable happened burnhams 20th pushover try of the season. 12-14

The second half started the same as the first with burnham puuting considerable pressure on their opponents from the first to the last whistle so much so that matson only spent about 5 mins in burnhams half in the entire second half. The sense of this being the last game for a few months burnham threw caution to the wind and started to produce the rugby they are capable of, burnhams next try came from such pure physical presence from the forwards finishing in burnhams number 8 stuart blake to crash over.
It was the backs turn next with a sublime training ground move, off the back of an attacking scrum elisi passed the ball to russ pike after work from josh holder and tim piper in the centres, he then sped down the wing to then feed young alex watkins who threw a dummy and stepped his way inside to score.
Still with the backs it came to the try of the game and was scored by man of the match Matt Love, he collected the ball inside his own half and using his speed strength and skill beat 3 defenders to race in untouched from 40 metres and celebrate in style with alan house and tim piper.
The last try came from the forwards and rightly so after their dominant performance, a penalty kick to the corner resulted in a catch and drive with burnham very own blossom ollie streeter touchin down for his first try in over 2 years.
Final score 34-14

A long hard frustrating season for burnham ended in a fine team performance and a great evenings entertainment, many lessons to be learnt from the whole season for ALL involved in the club but 2 mid table finishes for both 1st’s and 2nd’s is very respectable certainly considering all the injuries and unavailabilities throughout the season but both senior captains have done a remarkable job in getting players out on the field and leading them as any strong leader would.

The club and players would like to thank all the support for this season once again its been fantastic.


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *