Burnham went into this match following a poor run and against a side that higher in the league,but with the old firm partnership of halfbacks,Saunders and Piper,they instantly took control.
Directly from the start Burnham collected a lineout,were awarded a penalty and from the resultant lineout Piper pretended to pass out wide but instead slipped the ball inside for Felix Granfield to canter through and score under the posts.Piper converted.7-0.6 minutes later great work by Staceyat the maul,released Mason Shaw to handoff his opposite number pass outside and then take the return pass to score under the posts.Piper added the extra.14-0.Again 6 minutes later,Piper launched a long clearing kick,Chard failed to reach touch,caught by Beard who then passed outside to Ben Stacey to go round the outside and score under the posts.Piper obliged 21-0.Almost instantly constant pressure between Burnham’s backs forwards before findind Ryan Beard who strolled over the line.Once again Piper converted.28-0.Bonus point secured after just 17 minutes.Not long after Burnham regained possession on their own 10 metre line,whereupon Shaw set off knocking back 2 and handing off 4 before setting Connor free to score under the sticks.35-0. 9 minutes later Burnham retrieved the ball after Chard failed to find touch from a penalty,releasing Shaw,this time to show his dextrous nature in selling 3 dummies and then trundle in under the sticks.42-0. 4 minutes after that Burnham turned the ball over enabling Piper to find a rampaging Stacey on his outside.49-0.On the stroke of halftime Burnham took a quick penalty, after a great chase by Connor,swift ball out to Piper to draw the defence before offloading to Shaw to record his hat-trick.56-0.Halftime.Right from the restart Burnham continued from where they leftoff,continually exerting pressure on Chard until Chris Panayi crashed over 61-0.3 minutes later after a good Burnham scrum Stacey picked up from the base before re;leasing Nick McKen to smash through 3 or 4 tackles to go over out wide.66-0.So dominant were Burnham that what ever they came up with resulted in a score,this time Nick McKen was the recipient of the final pass.73-0. 5 minutes later,after Burnham’s backs hounded the opposition into knocking on,swift hands saw young Connor race away to score out wide.78-0.From the restart Burnham regained the ball quickly releasing Piper to storm through the gap and then release McKen to complete his hat-trick.85-0It then took Burnham 15 minutes before they got back on the scoreboard,after some spirited defiance from Chard.Burnham were awarded a penalty,Tim Piper took a quick tap,chipped over the defence,recovered the bounce before ambling in in to score under the posts.92-0.Finally,after turnover ball,Stacey broke away,out to Harding and then recycled out to Shaw to complete a remarkable match.Final score 99-0.

Burnham provided an entertaining brand of total rugby.With plenty of first team experience within the ranks,even if some of it was from over a decade ago,namely Lee Saunders and George Wilcox,they totally overwhelmed Chard with their mixture of control,pace and strength,especially Shaw,whose handoffs were exemplary and was deservedly awarded man of the match.Well done.

From left Tim Piper, John Cornish,scoring a try Chris Panyi.
Ben Stacey ,Nick Mcken with the ball,Jake Harding on the right.


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *