The Stags were back to league action this weekend, after last weeks emphatic cup win, and hosted Bristol Harlequins who were currently second from bottom.

The Stags had good possession of ball from the start and began to test the Quins defensive line which held out for around 8 minutes until The Stags displayed a stunning phase of play from right to left, using the full width of the pitch. The ball was fed out wide and to the hands of Ryan Beard who showed his pace to score the first try of the game. Tim Piper converting to take a 7-0 lead.
The Quins pack were dogged in the loose and managed to turn over the ball several times but struggled to keep possession at times.
Several minutes after the first Try Beard struck again out wide to make it 12-0.

From the re-start, The Stags moved up the pitch and continued to keep Quins in there half. A scrum was awarded to home side, and with the ever reliable quick ball being produced by the forwards, Jude Donnelly scored the Third try out wide with Piper adding the extra’s. 19-0.

Quins found themselves in The Stags 22 for a short period but lost possession during a phase of play and the ball ended up in Beard’s hands, who then raced out of his own half, meandered his way around a couple of Quin players but was tackled just short of the line and managed to pass too the supporting Tom Wall who scored under the posts. 26-0.

At no point during the game did Quins allow there heads to drop and continued in vain to keep The Stags away from the try line but various errors gave the home team plenty of possession. Captain, Ross Mckechan, was his nuisance self around the park, tackling anything that moved and ripping the ball out of Quins hands on a few occasions.

Just before half time, Tom Wall scored his second try from open play with some sublime running and strength around several Quins players. Piper made it 33-0 at the break.

With the damage done in the first half, the first 15 minutes of the second was a little subdued as The Stags eased off the gas. A few errors gave Quins possession but they were unable to make anything of it.

When the ball was in The Stags possession they played some sensible rugby kicking for touch to keep Quins pinned back. Winning the lineouts, only a few meters out from the try line meant only one thing, catch & drive, and on we go. Chris Warner scored and several minutes later a penalty try was given for off side and The Stags found themselves 47-0 up.

Back again we went and a carbon copy lineout allowed Stefan Pierce to score and Piper converted 54-0. 

Tom wall then showed why he was awarded Man of the Match as he went galloping back in the Quins half to score his Hatrick and make it 61-0.

Somewhere during the game another try was scored by someone and the game finished at 68-0. 

MOTM – Tom Wall.


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *