Burnham set off for in good spirits for the three hour trip to Falmouth. We were all expecting it to be a wash out in Falmouth with an ‘up the jumper’ game on the cards.

However club positivity paid off. As we came over the hill into the town the sun started to break through. Game on for Burnham to stick to their A plan.
Following kick off Burnham took the game to Falmouth and the referee had his work cut out keeping Falmouth on side, however following two penalties including one for back chat, Falmouth began to play ball. Unfortunately in the early exchanges Burnham lost flanker Ryan Beard to an ankle injury. He was replaced by Scott Mills.

Some good phase play allowed Burnham to get ball to allow winger George Goodall into the game. George out paced his opposite man to go over in the corner.  Against the wind there was no comversion.

Falmouth continued to batter the Burnham defence but the attack was very one dimensional and the blue wall remained firm.  Once Burnham regained possession through a knock on  the resulting scrum functioned well. Burnham welcomed back from injury James Havercroft and he partnered  former captain Ross McKechan in the engine room. Although a new combination the two worked tirelessly all afternoon to support the front row combinations of Mike Forward (replaced at half time by Lewis Dodge) Stef Pearce and Adam Peters. The scrum never faltered.

It was not long before Falmouth conceded a penalty and fly half Tim Piper slotted the points.

From the resultant change in possession Falmouth tried to emulate Burnham’s expansive free flowing game.  However one of their passes was read perfectly by outside centre Josh Holder who ran in the try. Unfortunately the extras could not be added.

With a strong set piece Burnham were able to gain possession freely from lineout and scrum.  This led to the more experienced Burnham backs linking together to gather two more tries before half time.  The first one from a trade mark hard, fast and direct run from Will Hopkins. Tim Piper added the conversion. The second was from winger George Goodall who once again powered his way to the line following some fantastic interplay. No conversion. Half Time 0-25.

Following the break Falmouth with their half time pep talk still ringing in their ears tried in vain to breach the Burnham defence.  Their young back line offered some hard running but could not link it all together to cross the whitewash. However Burnham did and full back Scott Havercroft finished off a sweeping move to cross the line allowing Tim Piper to add the extras.

Falmouth frustration crept in as Burnham continued to spoil the party through resolute defence by back rowers Scott Mills, Sam Wall and Eoghan Westoff. A resultant penalty found a long range touch. The Burnham lineout set a maul and trundled in from 20m. Prop Stef Pearce grounded the ball to gain the try. Tim Piper made the conversion.

Following twenty minutes of little possession, Burnham got themselves back into the game through the high work rates of all the players. Special mention should go to debutant Jack Atkins who stepped up to mirror solid performances from all the players.

However it was Hat trick Hero George Goodall who finished out the afternoon with his third try. Tim Piper was able to convert his strong running finish.
This Saturday Burnham play Honiton at the BASC ground. 3pm KO.


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *