The IIs travelled the short journey away to Weston RFC IVs in what was an interesting game ranging from rugby skills to boxing skills.

The first half started as many of the games this season, great opening passages of play by BoS only to be on the receiving end of a sucker punch and today was no different. From the kick off BoS looked determined to score first only for WSM to go ahead against the run of play 7-0 to the hosts with 5 on the clock.

From the restart BoS applied pressure and were consistently knocking at the WSM try area but the hosts were dogged in their defence. After several passages of play and some great line out work by Neil Harding BoS managed to get the ball through the hands and to Eoghan Westhoff who crashed over for a well deserved first try, the conversion was successful and 7-7 after 15 minutes.

Again BoS from the restart withstood a little bit of pressure but managed to withstand it and work their way down field. Again the set plays worked and for the second time in the game Eoghan Westhoff went over by the posts to score, conversion successfully made and 7-14 to the visitors.

At this point BoS took charge and looked threatening every time they got the ball, working through the middle and getting the ball flowing through the hands. The only visit by the hosts into the visitors 22 resulted in a good run by Conor Howard to return it with interest. Several plays later and Jacob Allen was able to score. Unfortunately, this time the conversion could not be made so 7-19 to the visitors on 30 minute mark.

The resulting kick off saw a change in the weather which coincided with an enforced player change. Neil Harding, who had been having his match of the season, got cleared from a ruck but suffered a game ending injury in the process. Whilst BOS were able to bring on the very able Neil Coleman it did change the balance of the pack with some reshuffling having to take place. Thankfully, BoS were able to withstand the pressure and turn around at halftime 7-19 up.

The second half though saw a completely different game, after the running and clean hitting the hosts did start to turn the game into a physical arm wrestle. The weather also turned and the pitch resembled an ice rink in places. The hosts used this to their advantage and by moving the ball to the greener area of the park were able to score a converted try, 14-19 on 45 minute mark.

From the resulting kick off the next 20 minutes were more about cool heads and keeping good footing. Unfortunately, that was not the case for one side who kept infringing and being on the wrong side of the Referee, thankfully that wasn’t the team in the blue and white. The Captains were spoken to on numerous occasions in that period but in the end it was WSM who incurred the ultimate sanction by being reduced to 14 men due to a second successive high tackle.

BoS kept attacking but a promising move resulted in a juggled interception by WSM but sensible play by Russ Pike saw the try being scored in the corner thus making the conversion difficult and not made, 19-19 with 10 left.

Then came tackle of the day from Jude Donnelly who literally drove the WSM scrum half backwards and into the ground. Everyone heard the thump as both players hit the deck. That resulted in pressure and plenty of it, unfortunately on 75th minute BoS had to go to 14 due to an injury to Eoghan Westhoff. That, coupled with a never say never attitude saw BoS applying pressure runs and after losing some yardage the ball was passed to Scott Mills who produced some searing pace and cut an angle which saw what proved to be the game winning score. Unfortunately the conversion was missed, 19-24.

The final restart of the game saw 2 minutes of constant pressure by the hosts but they were unable to hold on to the possession and tried one last ditch effort but to no avail. The ball ended up being kicked out on the full which resulted in a BoS scrum with time completed. A simple play so the ball off the park and a final whistle which saw a win on the road.

Yes, plenty to work on but being able to dig deep and grind out a win against tough opponents has to be a positive.

Thanks to all the supporters for coming to support given the foul weather, it was much appreciated by the team. Thanks also to David Timms for yet again running the line.

Next game for IIs is on Feb 9th at home – another double header with the first team home as well. After which is the Race Night, so don’t forget to get your tickets and hopefully enjoy two wins and some wins on the races to boot!


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *