Match Report Burnham Seconds 0 Wyvern 22.
“Wyvern Dragon Overcomes.”

Burnham 2s reformed after a two week layoff that really seemed like an eternity. The opposition was in the form of the Wyvern a game that has become a keenly contested affair during the last two seasons; with both teams newly promoted into the league this season the need to do well is foremost in the minds of all. 
Burnham fielded a sound squad for this game and the wounded skipper Matt Slater was back in the side from his period of R&R post injury.
A good squad work up to the game was held and the squad were in good spirits ready to get to grips with the Dragon.
The game was in the hands of good official the only down side was the fact that the weather was atrocious, heavy underfoot, wet and very cold. This was not in Burnham’s favour as the side on display were certainly one that favoured open breakout rugby.
In the past  games it is worthy of note that both packs were reasonably well  matched, the result in the  past  has gone to  the  side who  created the best  playing platform from the forwards in which  to  launch the backs into  assault.
As the game got underway Burnham laid out their stall and went onto the attack almost immediately, this had Wyvern defending in their 22 area. The initial exchanges were very much in Burnham’s favour, the forwards were well  organised the backs in the  form of Rob Lewis; Will Conway; and  Ben Gibb were mounting attacks into the back row of the opposition, but it was at the  crucial stages that it all  seemed to  break down, Mike Whitfield fed  well  by Scrum half Lee  Berry  was  getting enough ball into  the  backs but the clearing out in the  follow up was lacking this  was  allowing Wyvern to  thwart  any offensive positive play.
It was during a determined attack that a loose ball was picked up by the Wyvern inside centre who stepped inside to run in a full half of the pitch under the posts; try converted.
This knocked Burnham back it was not in the game plan and was certainly against the run of play. In addition to this it gave the visitors confidence and this was very much reflected in their attitude as the game commenced.
Burnham settled down to  get on with their game and the passage of play resumed much  as had  been the case previously; in their zest to even the score determined moves were mounted and it was a close run situation that  saw Wyvern hold up Dan( second row) in a concentrated determine drive mounted by Rob Lewis and Lee Berry and supported by a rampaging pack; in a desperate goal line scramble which  Wyvern eventually cleared, this clearance brought on another  attack by Burnham led by The standoff Whitfield supported by Will  Conway; Ginge; and Ryan Reynolds, which saw an interception by the Wyvern wing enabling him to  run almost  the  pitch  length to  score, try  converted.
This was the score line that Burnham took into the half time break.
Burnham had an uphill battle as the second half resumed; Mark had come on for the injured Dan as Lock; Will Grant had replaced Will Conway at full back.
 It was certainly a rejuvenated Wyvern side that came off the blocks as they went on the offensive almost immediately they clearly were intent on increasing their commanding lead, the forwards were linking well with their backs and were working well up  the  left side of the field possession was retained in the  pack commanded by their no 8 this resulted in  some very heroic Burnham defence; despite this Burnham weakened and Wyvern crossed the line in the left corner compliments of the left wing; try; unconverted.
The skipper brought on Smith and moved certain personalities around, Burnham had failed to consolidate and had lost out in certain key areas of play namely in the line and loose, this is where Wyvern had dominated. This defeat was hurting Burnham badly and they continued to pressurise and work hard against a now upbeat Wyvern side; Tom Stevens started to take good ball in the line, this produced some very good forward drives, Ginge was taking scrum ball against the head which again was feeding a hungry back row, alas this was all in vain as Wyvern had the last shout in the game with a converted penalty. The game ended with a frustrated Burnham in command with nothing to show.
In all credit Wyvern were the better cohesive side and deserved their victory; Burnham fielded as good a side as they are ever able to put out, but they could not link up the Tempo; their game lacked interrelation, in certain areas it came together but was not maintained long enough to produce results; the weather did not help; but it was the   same for both sides.
This was not a good team performance something that was felt by the entire squad in the after match review despite the fact that all had had worked very hard to regain the initiative during the game.
We can play better than this; and we will play better in the future.
We are on the run in to the season end and need to finish on a flurry; the next game is away to Bridgewater on 06 April a full complement of players is required to make themselves available for this fixture.


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *