Derby day for two teams in Somerset two South. Burnham welcomed Morganians to the BASC  ground. Captain Will Conway in form at fly half was away with the first team, however the team was left in good hands with a combination of senior and development squad players.
Morganians started strongly with the Tongan General back on Burnham soil. Morganians player coach Elisi Vunapola was back and he led the Morganian forwards into the Burnham half of the pitch. Not only were Morganians team up for the clash they applied pressure in all areas especially at scrum time where Burnham were shoved back into their half.
However Burnham’s defence was solid with the back row of Tom Stevens, Ben Stacey and debutant Ben O’Hallaoran tackling ferociously and Morgs were repelled with a three point deficit due to giving away a penalty at the breakdown. Tim Piper duely converted.
Burnham continued the half by kicking long and forcing Morgs to return the kick. One  gather by Burnham saw Alex Watkins gather and attack the blindside. Off loading to Ash Tucker he sped into the Morgs half however he was forced into touch with an unlawful tackle. Burnham kicked to touch, won the line out and the ball was fed to Mason Shaw who sucked in three defenders in mid field before he was hauled down. This resulted in an overlap created out wide and Elliot Donnely sped over in the corner.
Morgs did not lie down and they offloaded well to get themselves deep into Burnham territory. A knock on by Burnham and a scrum to Morgs. Burnham were again driven back and the Morgs No.8 attacked the short side to dive over in the corner. Their centre converted with ease.
Morgs continued driving into Burnham territory. However in an ironic twist to the game a long pass by Elisi was intercepted by ex playing partner Tim Piper. He took the pass over his head at speed and ran clear to dive under the posts. He converted his own try. Burnham were not done before the half was concluded and Tim ran through a gap created by some hard running by the Burnham forwards led by Adam Sharp. 22 -7 at half time.
At the turn around Burnham changed the team around to incorporate a number of the replacements and the tactics changed to defend their lead. They used the best form of defence, attack.
With Alex Watkins switching to fly half Burnham started to run the show and he continually put centres Shaw and Gibb through gaps. Morgs could not live with the hard running and when Watkins linked back up with Gibb he went over in the corner.
The game hotted up with both sides looking to finish on a flurry but it was Morgs who finished with a well worked try in midfield. A great game on and off the pitch and a massive team effort.
Burnham 2’s do not have a game next week with the World Cup final being played.

The next game is away to Minehead’s on 7th November. 


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *