Burnham emerged victorious in what was probably one of the best games ever seen at the BASC ground and make no mistake,it takes two teams to produce the spectacle that took place on Saturday,because Penryn were not top of the table through luck,they are very well organised club that play quality rugby and it took a special performance from Burnham to overcome them.For the first 25 minutes after kept in front by two penalties to one until Bryan Webb was caught once too often and was yellow carded by an extremely eagle eyed referee,possibly the best this season,which gave Penryn the opportunity to crank up the pressure,resulting in two catch and drive tries followed by an exchange of penalties to leave Penryn ahead by nine points at halftime.9-18.Just three minutes into the second half Penryn overturned Burnham ball,whipped it out down the line for the outside centre to cruise round under the posts.9-25.Now you could be excused for thinking that this was possibly the end for Burnham but against the better sides in this league Burnham are able to raise their game and back they came and after a successful catch from a lineout they put in four recycled phases,featuring House and Paul,before providing enough room for Elisi Vunipola to crash over.14-25.Penryn then moved 14 points ahead after Burnham were adjudged to have obstructed.14-28.From then on,even though they were against the wind,Burnham applied the pressure with every player getting involved,mixing it up between backs and forwards,so much so that first Nick McKen drove over after a Burnham scrum,19-28,followed by some forceful interplay before working the ball out to Paul,who the timed his pass to release San Chillingworth to run in from halfway,skillfully evading two would be defenders.Piper converted.26-28.By this time the support from the Burnham faithful was deafening,but this did not deter Penryn fro slotting over a long range penalty,26-31 and for the next twelve agonising minutes Penryn’s stoic defence kept Burnham at bay until at last the onslaught was rewarded when Chillingworth squeezed over in the corner.31-31.Even though the end of the match was nigh Burnham kept their foot on the throttle and right on the stroke of time Jordan Paul,growing in stature and confidence every game,broke through two tacklers from five metres out.36-31.Full time.What a match,where not only a great victory for Burnham but also a wonderful advert for rugby.From the Burnham point of view after two disappointing results,they performed against the best team in the league.It would be unfair to single anyone out for their efforts as every man played his heart out.Well done Burnham.This week Burnham travel to Tavistock,come along on the coach and support your club


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *